My Switch from Windows OS to All-New MacBook Air M1

Hello from the other side!!!

I'm back here after a long time!!!

This blog is about my switch from HP-15d009tu (500 GB HDD & upgraded Total 4GB RAM) to a 13.3 inch MacBook Air M1 (256GB Storage & 8GB RAM)

I started my web-development business a few months back in July and have a good amount of pending workload today. My old laptop was perfect for coding and stuff but slow while using software like Adobe Dreamweaver. I had to wait for a minute to save a code after every edit I do. Also, it is a Pentium Quad-Core processor that did not support Corel Draw 2019. That made me take assistance from others to create images and content for promoting my own ideas. So work was piling up and I was helpless...

10th November 2020, A day that revolutionized the computer industry. The all-new MacBook Air M1 was released by Apple. I really didn't have much idea about Apple Silicon before the release. Today I own the MacBook Air and have already started my coding work on it... So far I'm more than happy with the way my work efficiency has improved. Benefits after the upgrade:

1. Code gets saved at a lightning-fast speed

2. Higher data transfer speeds

3. Longer Battery life: can move around wirelessly anywhere

4. Faster Boot speed: saves a lot of time (less than the 30s compared to old HP at 5 mins)

5. True Tone display: can work for a long time with no strain on the eyes

6. Light-Weight: making it easier to carry

7. Smoother & faster switching between apps

8. A product worth the price (92,999 INR inc. GST)

9. Magic Keyboard: makes typing soooooooooooo smooth...

10. Shutting down laptop every day not needed

11. 400 Nits of Brightness: makes it fantastic to work even in completely exposed sunlight

12. As I am an iPhone user, now I can call & text via my Mac itself!


I'm using the following apps on Big Sur:

1) MAMP for server with PHP

2) Brackets for coding

3) FileZilla for uploading

4) Chrome with incognito mode always on (Use it for code testing only. Safari is best for all other works)

5) Corel Draw 2020 for content creation

6) Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

7) Microsoft Office 2019

All of the above apps work seamlessly. No glitches or errors were found. Big Sur with M1 though something new but the Rosetta 2 takes care of all the work and doesn't stop or slow my work. 


Boot Camp is not allowed on this Mac. They do have Boot Camp pre-installed but the app shows an error of Mac Version not supported. For Dual booting, updates will come sooner... 

Me being a first-time macOS user that too after using windows everywhere for so many years, hardly took 48 hrs to get used to this system with all my things working smoothly and now I don't even wish to turn on my old laptop. I am very much pleased with this upgrade.

Surely there is a difference in ports and I can't plug in my normal USB-A Pen Drives or External HDDs to it but I don't really feel I need it. There are old projects with a total size of around 9GB that I've transferred with the help of my own GoDaddy Server between both Laptops. It's a one-time process after all... So worth the go. Else you can always get a USB Type-C hub available in the market.

Comment if you have some suggestions or questions... Cheers ✌🏻

Comments

  1. ..cool I didn't care enough about this before reading this.. but I do now
    (Ye hmne bas aise hi comment kr diya ..here from twitter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being here and sparing your precious time to read my blog ✌🏻

      Delete
  2. That's great.. me too on a quest to choose a perfect (dabba) laptop for me as a student🙃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my contact details. Feel free to contact me for more details.

      "It Is What It Is" - Prateek✌🏻

      Delete

Post a Comment

Write Your Views And Help Me To Create A Better Blog

Popular Posts

Word Miles